February 5, 2020 *updated 11-5-2020 with bittersweet LOLs
Between two professional credentials that each need a lot of continuing education, plus family vacation time, I’m on the road a lot when it’s not tax season. Most of the time I’ll be able to get a voicemail/text/email and answer within a reasonable time frame, except for a week or two when I’m off the grid each year.
In 2020 I’m scheduled to go to:
- Heckerling Institute Conference Jan 12 to 17 in Orlando – it’s the premiere Estate Planning conference. DONE!
- Each April I take off the moment tax season ends for a quick restorative vacation, this year I’ll be recovering with a staycation (split between Greenfield and Peaks Island) April 15th through April 24th. I won’t be off-grid if there’s an emergency, but I hope it can wait until I’m back at my desk in the last week of April. I leave that whole week unscheduled so I can clear out backlogged issues pushed to after tax season, *after* I’ve recovered.
- At some point each summer I’ll spend time at Peaks Island. Time there is not so much a vacation as working from a remote location. Feel free to contact me then. I usually use that as a “work retreat”, where I research issues or learn new tools. This year I’m tentatively scheduled to be there June 7 to 12.
- Grand Canyon rafting trip – a bucket list thing for me – including travel days I’ll be off-grid and offline Friday, June 19 to Monday, June 29, 2020.
- Each year I go camping in Michigan with my dad – with very limited cell & internet service! This is a re-occurring trip: this year it’s scheduled for August 14 to 22.
- XY Planning Network Conference Oct 10 to 13 in “Denver” (plus travel days on either side.) This one is with my para-planning son, Gary!
- Alliance of Comprehensive Planners Annual Conference in “Atlanta” October 27-30 (plus travel days)
- December 8 and 9th, 2020 for a Tax Update Course in “Durham, NH”
- Because I usually host Thanksgiving, I don’t work the Wednesday or Friday then, but I do work the week between Christmas and New Year for urgent last-minute tax planning and tax loss harvesting issues.
In 2021, already spotted on the horizon:
- Each year my husband and I do a get-away trip to someplace sunny after we get the organizers out in mid-January so that I go into tax season with my batteries charged. The 2021 trip isn’t scheduled yet. We all need restorative vacations sometimes. Helping my clients reach their goals has inspired me with some of the YOLO spirit, too!)
- National Association of Personal Financial Advisors Conference Fall Conference ( October 13- 16, 2021 in Boston)
- Alliance of Comprehensive Planners Annual Conference in Atlanta November 8-12 (plus travel days)
I’ll have some day trips for tax updates and a quarterly workshop I do in Toronto, but I’m not usually offline for more than a few hours for those trips. I also generally post what I’m up to on Facebook, too, but we tend to be bad about remembering to change answering service messages.