May 22, 2019
Between two professional credentials that each need a lot of continuing education, plus family vacation time, I’m on the road a lot when it’s not tax season. Most of the time I’ll be able to get a voicemail/text/email and answer within a reasonable time frame, except except for one week when I’m off the grid this year.
In 2019 I’m scheduled to go to:
- AICPA Engage Conference June 9 to June 13 in Las Vegas – it’s the premiere CPA/PFS conference.
- XY Planning Network Conference Sept 9 to 11 in Saint Louis (this one with my para-planning son, Gary!)
National Association of Personal Financial Advisors Conference Fall Conference(not in 19)
- Alliance of Comprehensive Planners Annual Conference in San Diego November 11-15 (plus travel days)
- Western New England University Tax Institute – in November sometime
- Tax Update course in December or January sometime
- I am also in a study group that meets quarterly for the Alliance of Comprehensive Planners and do a quarterly workshop in Toronto, too, but those are quick one day things.
We also have family vacations:
- Each April I take off the moment tax season ends for a quick restorative vacation, but then come back to work on “buffer” activities that got set aside during the crunch. I’m usually around the last week of April but not scheduled with clients as I do things like upgrade computers and clean up files.
- Each year I go camping in Michigan with my dad – no cell or internet service whatsoever there! This is a re-occurring trip: this year it’s scheduled for June 15 to 23. These days we do sometimes go into town to check email, but consider me off-grid for a week.
- At some point each summer I’ll spend a week at Peaks Island. Time there is not so much a vacation as working limited hours from a remote location. Feel free to contact me then. I usually use that as a “work retreat”, where I research issues or learn new tools. This year I’m tentatively scheduled to be there August 25-31.
- Because I usually host Thanksgiving, I don’t work the Wednesday or Friday then, but I do work the week between Christmas and New Year for urgent last minute tax planning and tax loss harvesting issues.
- Each year my husband and I do a get-away trip sometime around the Martin Luther King week-end in January. The 2020 trip isn’t scheduled yet, but I don’t expect to have internet or cell service between during this trip in January, 2020, sorry! (Not that sorry. We all need restorative vacations sometimes. Helping my clients reach their goals has inspired me with some of the YOLO spirit, too!)
I also generally post what I’m up to on Facebook, too, but we tend to be bad about remembering to change answering service messages.